Monday, March 28, 2011

Kitchen Arsenal - The Short List

I don't have much use in the kitchen for a garlic press or an egg poacher. I love Martha Stewart don't get me wrong, however spending $23 on a cookie cutter she reccomended that now serves as a paperweight is not a "good thing". If something only has one purpose, I had better use it every day. Toilet paper for example...totally makes sense.

I know the feeling well, you're innocently watching TV when a guy with an accent tells you that slap chopping is the only way to an exciting life. It's hard to resist. Long ago I made a commitment not to buy into any kitchen tool that isn't multipurpose. I recommend these 5 tools, simply based on the fact that I use them each week without fail.

1. Chef's Knife & Sharpener - I use mine every day. A sharp, high quality knife is an investment and a must have. A good knife will last you for years and years. You'll also need a knife sharpener. A dull knife is dangerous. I'm sure many a person has lost a finger hacking at meat with a dull knife.

2. Meat Thermometer - I get asked all the time what the secret is to a moist turkey or pork loin. The answer is pretty simple...temperature! I've gone through 4 meat thermometers in the past couple of years. I now have a digital and analog version just in case.

3. Microplane - Not just for zesting anymore! Sure you can use it for citrus, but I use it for garlic, ginger, nutmeg, lemongrass and Parmesan among other things. Here is what a microplane looks like:



4. Stand Mixer - I really don't like doing dishes so I only use my mixer for large batches but it makes easy work of almost anything.

5. Pepper Grinder - Whoever says that pre-ground pepper tastes the same is a damn liar. Period.

Happy Shopping.

-Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment